We wrote a letter to ourselves in class
this week. Thinking back to my youth that reminded me things happened when I
was 17 years old that year changed my life. I came to United States alone to
study, I left my home, my country, then came to a totally different place to
start my new life. I have never thought about that until I got on the airplane.
I said goodbye to all my family and friends, and also said goodbye to my life
there in my heart. My host family was waiting for me at the airport in Raleigh,
they were very excited to see the new member of their family and have a life
together. They did not know that I cried all the way from China to United
States, almost 17 hours. But I stopped crying and dried my eyes before I saw
them, then I had a big smile on my face because I knew it was time to get into
the new life here. I studied so hard and also tired to get alone with my host
family. I had such a hard time. Looking over back now, I am glad that I chose
this way of my life, I know how to take care of myself and be independent, not
just be a “mommy’s girl” anymore.
I am not good at remembering things, and I
always ignore some good things that happened in my life. Through this writing practice,
I learned to look closely to my life.
Good story about your feeling when you were in your way for USA. As you said that you remember your life when you were 17 years old, I was expecting you to relate a story when you were younger, or talk to yourself younger. But the feeling you had from you departure from china to your arrival in USA is emotional and an experience of your life. Also be free is a good thing and it is important to take his freedom.
ReplyDeleteMoving to another country AND leaving everyone you know is a HUGE change. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I hope you've been able to contact your parents regularly for emotional support. I hear that a lot of people have "culture shock" when they start living in a new country and feel anxious and depressed. The good thing about Charlotte, NC is that there are many different types of people from all over the world. And while you are in school, you meet people that are exchange students, maybe from your own country. There is no better way, I've heard, to expand your mind than to live in a different country. I hope you've had good experiences here in the US!
ReplyDelete